About Valerie Atkin and Wells Street Consulting
My personal vision is to learn from and take joy in all life offers and help others do the same. Most days I do pretty well.
You’re likely here to get a sense of who I am, how I work, and if we might explore a path of possibility (or maybe we went to high school together 100 years ago and you wonder what I look like now). Hopefully, you’ll find what you need to decide that working together will be beneficial.
I’m an insatiable learner. By continually studying, I’m better able to curate, synthesize, and develop concepts and processes that support my growth and that of my clients.
I don’t pretend to have the answers or to be right but I will always be an honest mirror and share how the world looks from my vantage point. I’m annoyingly realistic and practical, so will share what I don’t believe would add value.
I’m an Enneagram 3 which means I’ve had a historically tenuous relationship with patience. I’m happy to report studying the Enneagram has allowed me to tame my efficiency compunction and utilize it more sparingly as needed.
I’m a fervent mother and would choose my three children as friends if they weren’t already my kids. My goal is to provide a safe space for our evolving relationships as they grow themselves and their families.
I work best:
- With those who are serious about what they want to accomplish – I’m way too old to be anyone’s “check the box”
- When I’m able to make a unique contribution – I’ll let you know if I think there is someone better suited to your need or request and refer you to them
- Where we can have fun – I believe much in life is taken too seriously and collective fun builds mutual trust and enhances productivity
What I believe:
- Gratitude is an elixir that soothes.
- Presence beats presents any day of the week.
- Wrinkles are a privilege.
- What goes around, comes around, often in the most unanticipated ways.
- You cannot control another’s reaction, but you can consider it in advance.
- Wonder and curiosity are far more valuable than certainty.
- Listening with the willingness to be changed by what you hear is the only listening that counts.
- It’s never only one person.
- Failure is not a useful word but learning is.
- We are responsible for the dent we make in the Universe and in each other.
My teachers/coaches/recent learning experiences:
- Extensive Enneagram study with Claudio Naranjo, Enneagram Institute, Enneagram Worldwide, Jerry Wagner, Mary Bast, Tom Condon, Ginger Lapid-Bogda
- The Hendricks Institute
- Conscious Leadership Group
- Presence-Based Coaching
- Conversations at the Growth Edge – Adult Development
- Conversational Intelligence – Neuroscience
- Acceptance and Commitment Training
- Accelerated Learning
And if you need an ‘official’ bio:
Valerie Atkin founded Wells Street Consulting in 1991 to assist in the development of balanced, effective individuals who are able to create successful organizations. She works with people who are serious about accomplishing their objectives. She believes much in life is taken too seriously and research supports the fact that fun builds mutual trust and enhances productivity. She’s honest about what she can’t do or doesn’t believe will create value.
Before founding Wells Street, she held a variety of positions including: Organizational Analyst at DuPont; Manager of Development at Stauffer Chemical; National Accounts Manager at Zenger Miller; and Regional Vice President at MOHR Development. She has served as Marketing Chair on the International Enneagram Association Board of Directors; president of the University of Michigan Museum of Art Friends Board; vice president of the Saugatuck Douglas Historical Society; Member Experience Chair on Impact 100 Traverse City Board; and supports fundraising for the Enneagram Prison Project. She has a great sense of humor about almost everything except University of Michigan football.