The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike
than those who think differently.
– Freidrich Neitzsche
It is only imperfection that complains of what is perfect. – Fenelon
- Gift: Seeing what can be improved
- Question: What is the right thing to do and the right way to do it?
- Resourceful side: Ones approach life idealistically. They are conscientious, reliable, and hard working. They excel at setting and following process and procedure and usually prefer roles that require consistency. They strive to avoid imperfection and work diligently to improve both themselves and others.
- Non-resourceful side: Ones are perfectionist and tend to be preoccupied with getting everything right. They may be seen as overly responsible, serious or superior. They may be critical of others and are always critical of themselves.
Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. – Mother Theresa
- Gift: Seeing what others need
- Question: How can I help you?
- Resourceful side: Twos approach life with generosity and nurturance. They are naturally attuned to others needs and feelings and strive for connection. They are supportive, encouraging and help others thrive.
- Non-resourceful side: Twos may exaggerate their helpfulness to receive attention and appreciation. They may become compulsive rescuers and be disappointed or angry when they are not appreciated.
Those who say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
- Gift: Achieving results
- Question: What do we need to do to progress most efficiently?
- Resourceful side: Threes are competent, productive, and enthusiastic, as well as good promoters. They take a practical approach to life. They want to make the world a more efficient place. They enjoy being front and center and strive to surpass expectation.
- Non-resourceful side: Threes may become preoccupied with their image and focus too much on what others expect. They may appear to be more productive than they actually are. They can be overly competitive and confuse self with accomplishments. They are typically better at doing than being.
Seeing is believing, but feeling is the naked truth. – Walt Whitman
- Gift: Seeing what’s missing
- Question: How can I express myself uniquely?
- Resourceful side: Fours take a creative approach to life. They place a high value on individuality. They have an innate appreciation of quality and are deeply sensitive, poetic, and nostalgic. They want to make the world a more beautiful place. They feel most alive when they are able to express themselves and their feelings.
- Non-resourceful side: Fours may be preoccupied with being special. They may be overly sensitive to being left out or misunderstood. They often focus on what is missing. They may be seen as overly dramatic.
You can learn a lot just by watching. – Yogi Berra
- Gift: Objectivity and the ability to synthesize
- Question: What can I learn?
- Resourceful side: Fives take an objective approach to life. They have a natural ability to analyze and view things from a broad perspective. They want to understand the world and make it a more enlightened place. They enjoy researching and solving complex problems. They thirst for knowledge and information.
- Non-resourceful side: Fives may become overly intellectual and out of touch with their feelings. They may become withdrawn and self-sufficient in order to protect themselves from the intrusions of others. They may be seen as aloof or at least disengaged.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn’t mean someone isn’t after you.
- Gift: Seeing what is safe
- Question: What might go wrong?
- Resourceful side: Sixes take a law-abiding, dutiful approach to life. They honor tradition and are responsible, dedicated, and courageous in protecting their families and friends. They want to make the world a safer, more honorable place. They excel at anticipating problems and playing Devil’s Advocate.
- Non-resourceful side: Sixes may become overly preoccupied with threats to their security or the security of those to whom they are committed. This may cause them to worry, be doubtful or drive them to be overly confrontational. Some Sixes are drawn to do that which they most fear.
I wish you all the joy that you can wish. – Shakespeare
- Gift: Enthusiasm and flexibility
Question: What will be exciting?
Resourceful side: Sevens approach life with joyous enthusiasm. They are lively, cheerful, and gregarious, and have a natural ability to find the good in everything. They want to make the world a more enjoyable place. They love options and are good at energizing others. They crave the stimulation of new ideas and experiences and create elaborate future plans to keep their options open.
Non-resourceful side: Sevens may develop an exaggerated need to have fun, to avoid pain, and to keep their options open. They can become addicted to excitement. They may avoid the hard work that often goes along with completing things they have set out to do. They may be seen as scattered and may not feel they are taken seriously.
The gods assist the stronger. – Tacitus
- Gift: Big picture action
- Question: Is everything under control?
- Resourceful side: Eights approach life with strength or fairness. They have a natural ability to get, use, and keep power. They are direct, energetic, confident, assured, and like to make important things happen. They stand up for the underdog and want to eliminate injustice in the world. They are best when the going gets tough.
- Non-resourceful side: Eights can become overly controlling, even vengeful. They may seek to dominate others and have difficulty being compassionate. They strive to hide any vulnerability.
The first and fundamental Law of Nature is to seek peace and follow it. – Hobbes
- Gift: Inclusion and consensus
- Question: What does everyone think?
- Resourceful side: Nines approach life with acceptance. They are diplomatic and can allow events to unfold in their own way at their own pace. They want to make the world a more harmonious place. They remain calm and consider all points of view.
- Non-resourceful side: Nines may become overly passive and avoid taking a stand on anything. They may put off important activities and get lost in unimportant distractions. They are often conflict averse.